Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Eighties...oh what a decade

Amy is still not feeling well today and is watching a movie. A movie from 1986 titled "Lucas", about a 14 year old boy in high school who likes a 16 year old girl. Of course, he is not the popular kid (he likes watching insects, wears glasses, and is kinda scrawny) and most of the "cool kids" pick on him.

The movie just started and although I don't know how it will end, you can almost guess. Don't those movies all end the same way? Geeky boy gets pretty girl and somehow becomes the hero, right?

When she first turned the movie on, I just knew it was from the 80ies. The hair...the clothes...the make-up...even how they said things. I was 16 when this movie came out. Now, being a Mennonite, I didn't have  "the hair" and the make-up was a definite "NO!". As far as the clothes, well, in my own way, I tried to fit in. It was a little challenging since most days I wore a skirt or dress. For me, a good day (meaning hair and clothes) meant I was having an Amy Grant kind of day. (The singer Amy Grant was my idea of cool and beautiful) So much insecurity in trying to fit in. Man, I wouldn't go back to high school for anything!

But...then, also in 1986, I met Leonard. Geeky girl gets cute Maust guy. It didn't take long and this 16 year old girl was in love. Head-Over-Heels!!! Every day became an Amy Grant day!

Prom 1988


Now, move forward 25 years...

Styles have changed (although some are coming around again like skinny jeans and leg-warmers), music has changed (nothing compares to the 80ies), and hairstyles are, shall we say, less. However, some things haven't changed. Leonard still makes me feel like I am 16 and  I am still head-over-heels in love.

Okay, not exactly the way we normally look, but this was a really fun weekend!
Folk Festival 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment