Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Dreaming of a White Christmas

Rain, rain go away....and come back as....snow? I haven't actually seen a forecast, but my husband is saying "It will snow." And to be honest, I am rather excited at the prospect. It is December and snow is desirable. Come January and February, not so much.

When we sing that we are "dreaming of a white Christmas", do we really mean it? Or is it just for that one day that we want snow? Snow that is, of course, soft, fluffy and gently falling to the earth as if we are inside a snow globe. Not snow of the blizzard variety.

In places where it doesn't snow, do they sing the Bing Crosby favorite? Or in Australia, where the summer season is beginning? It is interesting how where we live, or what we are experiencing affects how we view something, like a song. Or how we react to circumstances. 

Just like how when we are over-tired and stressed out over something...anything, it can make us react in ways unexpected. Last year, I had a complete meltdown over Christmas lights. They were working just fine the year before just prior to packing them away for their long summer's nap. However when getting the tree set up and trying the lights, most of them did not work. At all.

I was trying to do this after working a couple nights and then not sleeping. So in a sleep deprived state, I stormed up to the attic, swearing like a sailor (or worse), thinking no one could hear me. I figured if no one heard me, I wasn't hurting anyone. Well, after I had let loose with a string of very non-Mennonite words, my husband quietly asked from the corner of the bedroom (where I had not seen him), if I was upset. Busted!

If I wasn't upset enough before, I certainly was now. I felt like running away and hiding. I was so ashamed of my very unChristian, immature reaction to...Christmas lights of all things. I did hide for awhile in the bathroom, but eventually came out to face my family. I apologized. They forgave. And maybe they have forgotten, but I haven't.

So, I got out the lights this year, and last night as I plugged them in, some worked, some didn't. I expected this and although annoyed, I didn't collapse in despair. Or shock my family with mad swearing. I had already prayed that in decorating for Christmas, I would be a blessing to my family and to visitors in our home. So, circumstances where different (I was rested) and I had prepared my heart (prayer can do wonders!).

Today, I am going to play Christmas music, and I am sure White Christmas will be in there somewhere. And now, for me, that will be a reminder to be aware of how I am reacting to where I am, and my circumstances.


"You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you." Romans 8:9

3 comments: