Friday, December 9, 2011

On the 1st Day of Xmas, my true love gave to me...a lobster trap

I am listening to the The Letterman Christmas CD as they sing "The 12 Days Of Christmas". What a lot of work to gather all these gifts over the course of 12 days! And seeing as so many of the gifts were either animals or people, I can't imagine that they were all cooperative. I am thankful that my gift-giving is so much simpler. Or is it?

I think in the search for that "perfect" gift, we sometimes get so caught up in making it just right, that the spirit of giving becomes the spirit of stressed-out-ed-ness. (How's that for a word?)

In looking for a gift for Leonard, I will admit I am kinda stumped this year. I am trying too hard to find the gift that says "Romance" (in a masculine kind of way), "Useful", "Wanted", and "I am thinking of you above me." I want him to have a reaction like a Hallmark card and a sentimental Christmas coffee commercial all together.

When looking at years past, I think sometimes I have given gifts that, while he may have liked them, the gift was more for both of us, or I ended up using it more than him. Not exactly what I have in mind for this year. (Not that I have anything in mind yet anyhow.) Hence the dilemma.

That's my man!
I think the best gift I ever gave him was a lobster trap. It was our third Christmas as a married couple. Our honeymoon had been in Nova Scotia (lots of lobsters) and the trap was sentimental, romantic, and we even made it useful; it serves as a coffee table.


Okay, just to be fair, here's one of me from the same Christmas (1990)
Hey, I just realized I am the age Adrienne is now. Wow!


No comments:

Post a Comment