Monday, December 5, 2011

There's always tomorrow

I had so many plans for today. So many items on a "to-do list" that I was hoping to have crossed off before going to bed tonight.  Lets see...wrap a couple gifts,  make a large pine wreath to hang outside on the house, get a Christmas tree (and of course, decorate it), do a couple loads of laundry, organize my sewing corner so I can get to work on some gift ideas, etc, etc.

As it is 4:45pm now, I should have something crossed off. Ummm.....nope. Instead, I slept in my car at Wal-Mart until noon (and no, I am not weird, I just work night shift. Well, okay, maybe that does make me weird.), did a little Christmas shopping, drove an hour or so home, and then dozed off in my driveway, in my car again, until about 3:45pm.

I am tempted to get grumpy at everyone and everything because I feel like I wasted a day off.  I get so mad at myself for needing sleep. Why? I can choose right now to have a different attitude, to make the most of the hours I have left today. Maybe, we can walk up to the end of the lane and pick out our tree at Level Acres Nursery. It may not get decorated today, but there is always tomorrow. I can cut greenery for the wreath. It may not get formed into a wreath today, but there is always tomorrow. I can get 1 or 2 gifts wrapped tonight instead of all the gifts. You know, there's always tomorrow.

I don't think I am encouraging myself to procrastinate; instead I am allowing myself to set goals that are realistic, even attainable. There is a place for unrealistic goals (dreams, if you will), that inspire me to make them happen. But for today, I will be content.


"Better one handful with tranquility than two handfuls with toil and chasing after the wind." Ecclesiastes 4:6

No comments:

Post a Comment