Monday, December 19, 2011

Do I have to wrap the gifts?

I have never really liked wrapping gifts. It doesn't matter if it is birthday gifts, Christmas gifts, or just an "I am thinking of you" gift; I don't like wrapping any of them. The funny thing is, I like looking at wrapping paper and picking out the ones that will match my house. I like all the ideas I see of how to wrap in creative ways. I've even saved magazine articles with wrapping suggestions. So, why don't I like wrapping gifts?

First of all, it takes time to do it nice, to make it creative. And then, in 3.8 seconds or less, the hard work is ripped off and tossed into a pile on Christmas morning. Was it appreciated? Or even noticed?

Second of all, it requires tape and scissors, which for some reason at my house, always come up missing. 

Third, I am a bit of a perfectionist, and if I can't do it right, I don't really want to do it at all. 

Therefore, presents on birthdays are usually handed to the birthday person still in the bag or box. (I do at least take the price tag off.) Sometimes I just throw a blanket over the gift. I have even been known to tell the person to close their eyes while I bring the present to them and then, when all looks ready, I tell them to open their eyes and "Voila!"

I guess I could resort to throwing my offering into a gift bag, but that requires making the tissue paper look pretty at the opening of the bag. Too much work.

I could wait to put the unwrapped gifts under the tree until Christmas morning, but the chaos of which gift goes to which person would not be my idea of festive. Not to mention the fact that my children enjoy actually opening their gifts. (This may be because it doesn't happen any other time of the year.) 

Tonight I want to finish wrapping presents. I think I will listen to a new Christmas CD by Sephira called "Starlight." Maybe I'll light a candle or two. I may even wear a Santa hat. 

Who knows? I may even get creative and make a few name tags instead of just scribbling a name on with a Sharpie marker. 

Wrapped and, umm, labeled with Sharpie marker.
Note to self: Make proper name tags and pray for the person while making their tag.

I have had this paper for years; it is probably my least favorite because it doesn't match my house or personality.
 Somehow this roll NEVER runs out.

Okay, these aren't my gifts. But to learn how, see the following website:
http://www.ehow.com/how_6190453_christmas-wrap-tie-ribbons-gifts.html
(you can copy and paste in your little search window)


No comments:

Post a Comment