Saturday, December 3, 2011

Sleeping the day away...or at least I should be.

I should be asleep right now. Instead I am suffering from what is known as "a second wind". After a night shift that I thought would never end, and thinking about falling into my bed and sleeping, I am...awake. 


So frustrating. And really, just what is a "second wind" anyhow?  
1. The return of relative ease of breathing after the initial exhaustion that occurs during continued physical exertion.
2. Restored energy or strength.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved. (does that mean I can't use the def. here???)


Interesting, and here I always thought it had to do with sailing. Like when a ship has hit the doldrums, going nowhere, when suddenly a wind arises. This would be "the second wind", with the first wind being what got the ship there in the first place. 


So, other than experiencing a second wind right now (when I should be asleep), where am I at in life? With my goals? Perhaps I am in a bit of a doldrum, waiting for just the right breeze, from the right direction at the right time. Maybe though, instead of being content to drift aimlessly, I need to raise my sails in hopes of catching that breeze, that second wind and letting it take me where 'ere it leads. I need to hoist up the anchors that are holding me back, set my sights on the horizon, and sail. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey good job you!
    Hope your goal setting is going well:)
    And hope you were able to sleep when you needed to!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did sleep eventually. Not long enough. Doing night shift and not sleeping well is like going to bed at midnight and being up again at 3or 4am to start your day all over again. Thanks for the comment. I like feedback! :)

    ReplyDelete