Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Alarm clock....go away...

It's 4:07 pm and my alarm went off 7 minutes ago and now the series of snooze wake-up calls has begun. I am too tired to even reach over and shut it off, to let it know that I am awake. I think I understand quite well why people throw their alarm clocks across a room, or pound on them to make them stop. Oh, and there it goes again...

Alarm clock. Even the name is annoying. Why would anyone even want something that signifies ALARM! To me, alarm means impending danger, something distressing. No wonder no one wants their alarm clock to go off!

Maybe if it were called an Anticipation Clock or even an Inspiration Device, we would look forward to what the day holds with excitement instead of dread. I wish my wake- up call included coffee and breakfast in bed. Yes, even at 4:00 in the afternoon. All night shift workers will understand.

Maybe when my clock sounds the alarm, it could also have an inspiring quote or verse to get me motivated to fling off the warm covers, bound out of bed, and greet my offspring with a smile. You know, instead of the normal squinty-eyed look that says my eyes would rather be closed, and the grunt that means "I won't be fully awake until after coffee and a shower."

So, as the alarm clock continues to remind me that I am still in bed, I stretch and yawn, stretch again, and think about getting up. At least now I am pondering the possibility.

"Let the morning (or evening, as the case may be) bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul. Psalms 143:8

No comments:

Post a Comment