Saturday, December 17, 2011

I've seen the movie!

Today is Amy's 15th birthday. Happy Birthday! I love you! For one of her gifts she got a riding helmet. For horses, not motorcycles. And when I think of horses, I think of the classic story of Black Beauty.


I read that book numerous times growing up; a favorite along with The Wizard of Oz and The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (part of The Chronicles of Narnia). The funny thing is, when I asked my family if they'd ever read Black Beauty, all my children said "No..."

..."but I did watch the movie."

Gasp! Have I failed as a parent? How could my oldest 3 escape childhood without having read Black Beauty? I mean, really! We live on a farm, AND we have horses!
Amy this past Spring

Heather this summer


But, wait just a second. Have I read books that are considered "classic"? Like The Grapes of Wrath, Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, or Treasure Island? Have I ever read classics by Charles Dickens, other than A Christmas Carol?

Oh wait, I saw that as a movie.

So, maybe over the next couple of days, as I relax with a hot mug of coffee and something deliciously baked, I will explore a classic, a book that has stood the test of time. Any suggestions?

And, of course, one cannot overlook the classic of all time: The Bible. I do believe that the first chapters of Luke are on the reading list.

No comments:

Post a Comment