Sunday, December 11, 2011

Preparing My Heart

Today is the Third Sunday of Advent.

Advent (from the Latin word adventus meaning "coming") is a season observed in many Western Christian churches, a time of expectant waiting and preparation for the celebration of the Nativity of Jesus at Christmas.


For Christians, the season of Advent serves as a reminder both of the original waiting that was done by the Hebrews for the birth of their Messiah as well as the waiting of Christians for Christ's return from Heaven where he now sits at the Right Hand of God. (Wikipedia)

We prepare for Christmas in so many ways, for many reasons. We decorate our homes, we bake the holiday favorites, we listen to Christmas music as we buy gifts and wrap them in festive paper and ribbons, and we make plans to visit family. None of these activities is wrong. They are all part of the preparation done to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

I enjoy each of these activities; they are part of preparing my heart for not only this Christmas season 2011, but for the day of Christ's return.  But as I prepare my home and all the rest, in the midst of all the hustle and bustle, how do I really prepare my heart? As a Christian, do I read my Bible, spend time praying everyday? Or do I use the excuse that I am too busing living life to take the time?

Today as I reread the passage from Zephaniah 3:14-20, there is a verse that stands out to me. Verse 17 says that " He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." Wow. He will rejoice over me with singing. Why???!!! is the question that comes to my mind.

I am amazed at what Jesus did in coming to the Earth in human form, to walk among us, to die for us, to rise again, and to someday return. May my heart be prepared for that someday. May it start today.

(I tried to put the post "Veni, Veni" with this one and I couldn't figure it out. But take time to view it and read the words to the song. Powerful)

No comments:

Post a Comment