Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Donny & Marie Barbies!!!

I think the Christmas that stands out to me the most from my childhood, was...

The Year of The Donny and Marie Osmond Barbie dolls

Not only did I get a set, so did each of my sisters. It didn't matter that they were all exactly the same. Somehow, Donny and Marie became whatever and whoever we wanted them to be. And they were never brother and sister. Because we didn't have a lot of Barbies, especially man Barbies, poor Donny had to be the love interest of whatever Barbie was being played with at the time.

We spent endless hours playing with these dolls! Mom made each of us our own set of Barbie clothes (which I still have!) and also helped us make houses out of large cardboard boxes. She made a platform for each box, so that the house had 2 floors in it. We girls cut out pictures from the Sears catalog to decorate the walls and make them light fixtures. We used scrap fabric to make curtains and bedspreads. I hoped we would never outgrow playing with them.

I love looking back and remembering. I even looked up some clips on youtube of the Donny & Marie Show. Kinda cheesy and scripted, but sweet and fun. I don't think I realized, that when the show started, he was 18 and she was 16 years old. 

Nowadays, in the world of technology which is the "normal", I have to admit that I enjoy when I see my children playing or doing something un-technology related. Ryan loves the CARS movies and has been collecting all the little CARS models. He spends hours with them and I find them everywhere (not fun to step on in the dark!). I hope he can look back in 20 years and remember with fondness, the fun he had with a treasured toy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment