Sunday, August 25, 2013

Tomorrow It Begins

Tomorrow my youngest 3 kids head back to school. One is definitely ready; it's her senior year after all. One is a little bit ready, a little not ready; she is heading into 9th grade. The last one is not looking forward to this much at all.

And me? I don't mind. I mean it's always a little sad sending them off, another year older, but exciting too. One of my goals as a parent is to raise my children to be responsible adults and part of that is sending them to school. As I see them learn to read and then later, write their own stories, or write their name in bold, lopsided letters which gradually progresses to neat cursive writing, or do math, whether it is 1+1 or 2x + (16y-4x), I am excited.

Tonight, the oldest is off with some of her fellow Senior-ites for a last campfire of summer vacation. The next one, my Freshman, was relaxing on the couch, helping me with a project and then heading to bed on time. My baby, my 4th Grade little one, was staying up as late as he possibly could, playing as long as possible and avoiding the inevitable. He's all tucked in and properly kissed good-night now.

Me? I'm still up, but the alarm clock is set for 0700. One of them asked if I have to take pictures tomorrow. "Oh, dear child, what do you think? Yes, yes, yes. It's a tradition. Just be glad we do it before the bus arrives and that I don't follow you to school. "

Tomorrow my three babies head back to school.
Tomorrow my youngsters, growing into responsible, independent adults head back to school.
A little sad, yes, but a lot more exciting.

Here's to the school year 2013-14!

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment