Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The Wedding Blues

Watching Aaron and Lisa-Anna plan and prepare for their wedding takes me back to the summer of 1988. Ah yes, that was a good year…

I was working as a cook at the Casselman Restaurant and Leo was an electrician at Beitzel Welding. His job, most weeks, had him out of town Monday morning through Thursday night. We didn't have cell phones, texting or Skype. Email wasn't even in existence at that point, so our planning and preparation for our wedding was done via the odd phone call during the week and on weekends. I would save up my ideas and thoughts and then I'd run them all by Leo and he'd just agree. He always was a smart one.

Probably the biggest detail that we did not see eye to eye on was color. He wanted blue; a light sky-colored blue. I did not;it was too close to the color of my high school graduation gown which I'd just worn in June. I didn't really want to remind everyone again of my age. We settled on Dusty Rose and Ruby (or so that was what the fabric swatches said). Not a stitch of blue was in sight. But you know, to this day, when I ask Leo what our wedding colors were, he says, "Lavender".

Other details, like deciding on wedding invitation wording, food for the reception, the cake design, bridesmaids dresses, flower girl dresses, tuxedos, napkin colors, order of groomsmen and bridesmaids, music to play during the wedding, flowers and their arrangements, honeymoon destination…@@

Really, it shouldn't be so complicated, should it?

"I do." That's all. A commitment so simple, so true lies at the foundation of it all.

Aaron and Lisa-Anna,
      I know it can be stressful. It is overwhelming at times. Details, details, so many details. I remember how important it was to me to have everything beautiful and just the way I had always envisioned my wedding day to be. I know it is important to you too. And believe it or not, it is coming together. It will be beautiful but not just because of the candles, the music, the dresses or any of the other details. 
     The beauty is because the two of you are proclaiming to the world and before your God of your love and commitment to each other. Keep that your focus and the rest will fall into place a little easier. I know it still takes work, but we are here to help. It may be 25 years since the summer of 1988 when we planned our wedding, but I think we can remember a trick or two. 
     Love,
          Mom

The summer passed, we worked, we planned, and we prayed. And all the little details that threatened to drive us crazy fell into place just when we thought the puzzle would never be finished. And it was beautiful. Very 1980's Mennonite Chic, but beautiful. Just like theirs is going to be.

I can't wait.


Love,
Dianne
   
                                                                                                                                                 

2 comments:

  1. I just adore this poster picture of Aaron and Anna-Lisa. I am finally tuning into your blog and will continue to do so. One way to stay in touch with someone I love, and was so very close to years back. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, your words bring tears of the sweetest kind. I remember those days well. I love you too friend and cousin ~Dianne

    ReplyDelete