Saturday, August 10, 2013

Riding Backwards in A Car

The scent of buttery popcorn mingled with the sounds of children as they wiggled and giggled in their seats. My illegal coffee was nested in the seat beside me and Ryan was on the other side, sipping on his Dr Pepper. The lights went down and the volume went up; soon we were taken into the world of Planes, the new Disney movie.

We swooped along with the planes; we were in the clouds one second and zooming across the tops of the trees the next. I don't think I could have survived 3D. There is just something about watching a movie on a big screen that makes me a little bit carsick. I even take motion sickness pills before going to the theater. I know, it sounds silly to me too.

I used to never get motion sickness. Ever. As a young adult, I'd enjoy reading or doing counted cross-stitch on long trips. Traveling was a time to relax and catch up on some reading while someone else drove. Now, I usually drive so I don't get queasy.

There was another thing my sisters and I would do in the car, as kids, that would make me sick nowadays. We would sit backwards. That's right. Backwards and no seat belts. But then again, how else were we to play Runaway Caboose?

Influenced by a Monday night episode of Little House and the Prairie, Kim, Roxanne and myself (ake Mary, Carrie and Laura) would pretend to be in the back of the runaway caboose. As we careened along the "track", we would use the seat-belts to hold onto as we sat backwards. We weren't allowed to touch anything else with our hands, just the seatbelt. The goal was to not fall down between the seats.

Ah, yes the good ol' days.

And now, as I careen down this crazy highway called "Life" I have my seatbelt firmly latched and a few Dramamine tablets in my pocket.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment