Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Breath of Onion

A Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich….mm-mm-mmm. Loaded with steak, roasted green bell peppers, Swiss cheese, and sautéed onions. It looked so incredible; I really think it was calling my name. So, I placed my order and anticipated that first mouth-watering bite.

That first bite was a bite of onion. A large onion, causing my eyes to water a little and forcing me to remove it from my mouth And then I remembered that I don't really like onions all that much. I mean, I like them in really tiny little pieces, sautéed in butter or olive oil, and mixed with other ingredients. I don't know why they have to look so good, but for me, taste so strong, so wrong. And not just strong, but lingering and that's more my issue.

Much to my son Aaron's delight, I took him out to see Lisa-Anna in January 2010. (Stay with me here; this does involve onions.)  Just a quick trip to NJ for the day because my boy was falling in love. Can you hear the violins playing? As it happened, I was already worked up over the drive to her house (while not major city driving, it was more city than this girl liked!), getting kinda lost and then just spending time with my son's girlfriend. I wanted her to like me. I didn't want to be weird.

We met up with her at her house, and then headed out to find the nearest mall so they could be together without all of us just sitting at her house. The conversation went something like this:
Me: "What kind of food do you like?"
L.A.: "Not onions."
Me: "Oh me neither, they just linger and I burp them for days." 

So much for not being weird. Aaron is trying to get my attention in the rear-view mirror. I am sure he was thinking of ways he could shut me up and yet still be polite.  I tried to defend myself later, trying to show him how me and his girl are kindred spirits in a way. After all, we both don't like onions much.

Here is a picture from that trip. I think it's funny because we match. Not planned. Not discussed. Just a random thing. Now, that's weird. "Let's go visit your girlfriend, and I know let's match!" Actually, I was dressed first that day. Just making sure we all know that.

Onions. I really would've enjoyed my sandwich more without them, although I did eat a few. Burp. It brings to mind a song that some of the Bender Grandkids wrote about the aforementioned vegetable. Sung to the tune of the hymn "Breathe on me, Breath of God", it goes like this:

"Don't breathe on me Breath of Onion
for you shall make me stink,
and people will stay far from me,"
Don't breathe on me Breath of Onion."

And on that note, I bid thee goodnight. Burp. 

Love, Dianne



2 comments:

  1. ah hahaha! I posted on your fb page the words to the song before I checked here. We remember it exactly the same way. That must have been 35 years ago or so? It sure made an impression on us! Thanks for the memories!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaaaaahhhhh 35 years ago?? No way is that possible!! :) I can't ever sing that hymn without our version sneaking into my head. ~Dianne

    ReplyDelete