Thursday, August 8, 2013

A Good Day To Iron

Today is a good day for ironing. Not a favorite chore, but yet not a dreaded one. It's more just a chore that I procrastinate with until I have to do it. Then, other than dress pants which I detest ironing, I find it relaxing. I don't know why I don't just iron right away. Maybe it is like fixing the bed; it just feels like a waste of time. After all, it will just get wrinkly again.

I am getting better at hanging things up to dry or using the "wrinkle release" on the dryer, but I still always end up with items that need either a touch-up or a full on hot iron to release the stubborn wrinkles. I now know why my mother seldom bought 100% cotton.

I like try to iron my uniforms for work (but only if they really need it). I do not iron bras, underwear, bed sheets, pajamas or exercise clothes. Or t-shirts, unless they are looking exceptionally bad. Or socks. Never have I ironed a sock.

Leo tried to iron a tie once. Fail.

To show my issues with ironing procrastination, I have a confession to make. When we were first married, I had a spare room that I kept the ironing board set up in all the time. There was no excuse not to iron, but most of what needed ironed were Leo's church pants. I would hang the wrinkled items on a window curtain rod and there they would stay until I or Leo needed that article of clothing.  I had a dress there for so long that the side facing outside was completely faded. A grey dress with a lovely almost washed out looking white stripe down the side. Needless to say, that did not end the procrastination; it only served to have me hang the laundry somewhere else to await it's turn on the board.

Today, as it is raining outside, I figured why not. It is a good day for ironing. And thus I watched a movie (The Prizewinner of Defiance, Ohio ~ a good movie based on a true story) and I ironed.

I even survived to procrastinate another day

Love,
Dianne

2 comments:

  1. I don't iron very often...usually only if I am going to something special and want to look good. My son, however, irons everything he wears and he is very particular about it. I remember teaching him to iron when he was about 14....and he has ironed his clothes ever since. I wonder sometimes what his girl friend thinks of it...maybe I should remember to ask her when we meet someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd ask him if he'd like more clothes to iron :) Sharp creases look nice, but it's just time consuming and somehow my creases never quite line up with the previous one. Nothing like a pair of slacks with two creases down the front of each leg .

    ReplyDelete