Saturday, August 24, 2013

Tea Party for One

I may have just made the perfect cup of tea.

I don't drink ice-tea and I usually don't drink much hot tea; my girls are the tea drinkers in the house. But tonight was a hot tea kind of night. I am alone at the house this evening and as the clock beat out each steady note, I began to think that relaxing with a cup of tea would just hit the spot.

A sweet friend gave me the loose tea (I believe this was a chai blend) and I gathered my jar of it, my tea pot that strains the leaves right into my cup, and my favorite cup of the moment. I have a wide variety of mugs and cups for hot beverages and I pick the one that fits the mood. It makes it taste better. It does. Try it, you'll see.



Another friend who is a tea connoisseur of sorts advised me to steep my tea for two minutes. Just two minutes, no more, no less. I tend to do more, usually because I forget that I am making tea, and end up sipping something akin to potpourri.

Is it any wonder I don't drink much tea?

I set a timer this time. 2:00 minutes. I gathered the honey jar and a chopstick with which to twirl in the honey, gathering a sticky glob on the end to stir into my tea. Oh, this was going to be good. At least, I hoped so. Like I said, I really don't make a good cup of tea.

The timer chimed. The leaves were strained and an herbal steam already calmed my thoughts. The honey was swirled in and the Celtic music was playing softly in the background.

I sipped.

I felt like a tea connoisseur of sorts.

I swallowed.

I smiled.

Perfection.


Tea should be taken in solitude. ~C.S. Lewis

At least for this evening, that is. 

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment