Saturday, August 3, 2013

Choose To Be The Honey

I got stung by a bee yesterday, right on my big toe. I was in my usual hurry-scurry to get out the door and as I made a quick detour to verify that Shakespeare had food and water, I stumbled over the bee. The wasp. The winged being with a poison sword.

We are no longer friends.

Immediately the searing, burning pain centering on my foot caused me to have flashbacks of labor and birth. I instinctively began to breathe. Whoo-whoo-heeeeee. Focal point, focal point, find a focal point!
I was seriously annoyed, but I did not have time for this. Not now.

I tried to think of a fast home remedy to stop the spreading wasp venom. Burdock leaves. I scanned the yard where I usually have a few of the ugly broadleaf weeds. Not a one in sight. Seriously? Where did they go?  I can't stand them, but when I need them, they disappear. How rude.

Onions. I go back in the house and put an onion slice on my foot. I am still trying to get my stuff together to get out the door on time, so I tuck it into my sandal. It brings to mind the question Ryan asked my the other day as we were driving in the car. "Mom, what do you think people meat tastes like?" What?! Where did that thought come from? He shrugged; he was just wondering. Now, here I was, seasoning my foot with an onion. Which really did not do a thing for the wasp sting that was now making my foot throb with each heartbeat.

I decided my best home remedy was to ignore it. I went about the rest of my day, but the ache in my foot continued for about 12 hours before finally subsiding into the most intense, ridiculous of itches. Ignore it, ignore it, ignore it.

It's funny isn't it, how something so little, like a bee can cause so much irritation? I find that is true with other things, like how one word from someone cause bring me to the edge of despair. Or how one small disapproving look can ruin my day.

If I choose to let it. 

That's the key isn't it; choosing to let the little things make or break me. It's tough sometimes. I am too sensitive to the venom in words; I take it to heart and let it fester instead of hearing them, learning from it (if it truly is something of worth) and letting it go.

And in all this, I am reminded that my own words, my own glances can cause the same hurt, the same sting, the same pain. My prayer? Lord, let me be a blessing to my family, my friends, my coworkers, to all that I meet, in spite of myself. Take away my sting. Make me words, my attitude sweet like honey. Amen.

And now, I am off to work; as always, busy as a bee.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Love,
Dianne

2 comments:

  1. I loved you analogy....I once had a bee sting while walking across the field with lots of clover....it was sooooo painful. I completely understand your misery. Hopefully you are feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am, thanks! Just an itchy foot that is okay if I would just leave it alone :) My sister is allergic, so I am thankful that I am not. ~Dianne

    ReplyDelete