Monday, March 12, 2012

"You certainly have your hands full!"

This past weekend I spent time with Samuel and Reagan. They are eighteen months apart in age and are 26 months and almost 7 months old right now. I looked at these first cousins and thought back to when I had children that size.

A long time ago.
Adrienne and Aaron are seventeen months apart in age and when they were little, you didn't really think about it too much because it was just the way it was. People would say, "How do you do it? You certainly have your hands full!"

At times like that, I would think (a little sarcastically), "Yeah, my hands are full! Hmm, they must've seen me carrying both of them, a large diaper bag, and library books while crossing the street on my way to the library earlier today, and all that while feeding Aaron at the same time." I would then smile at them (pleasantly, not sarcastically) and say,"Why yes, I do get rather busy at times."

But did I think about it all the time? No, because it was truly "just the way it was", and I really didn't have the time to dwell on it.
Little Wootsie (aka Adrienne) and Luigi (aka Aaron) and of course, the adorable blond guy is Leo.



Yep, some of these pictures were already scrapbooked!

Did I plan to have my first babies 17 months apart? No.
Did I think it would be easy? No.
Was it easy? No, and yes. 
Was it hard? Yes, and no.
Would I do it that way again if I could choose? Maybe.

You see, watching Samuel and Reagan brought back some really good memories of when Adrienne and Aaron were little. Like...

...reading Curious George,
     rocking not just one baby, but two to sleep,
         getting them both ready for bed in "footie" pajamas,
             having both of them smell like baby shampoo and lotion,
                 knowing they were going to grow up close in age and play together,
                     putting in a movie and they both liked it because there wasn't an age gap,
                        and one of the best memories of all...

...finding the two of them playing in a brand new tub of butter. They were covered in butter from head to toe and quite pleased with themselves. I couldn't really get mad at them; after all, I'd never told them not to play in butter. In the end, although I was afraid it wouldn't wash off easily, it came off quite nicely and their skin was even softer than it usually was.  Good times, good times.

So, to Samuel and Reagan's parents:
          Thank you for sharing your kids with me this past weekend. I enjoyed watching them, playing with them, cuddling with them, and remembering what it used to be like in a small way. 

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment