Sunday, March 4, 2012

Chocolate, oh Chocolate where art thou?

There is not one stitch of edible chocolate in this house!
Not even a lonely little chocolate chip.
I have some unsweetened baking chocolate, but I did say edible. 


Oh what is a woman to do?





I think I have always liked the taste of chocolate. Chocolate milk, M&Ms (they melt in your mouth, not in your hands), chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate cake. Yum. As a girl, getting a Hershey Bar was a huge treat as we didn't buy a lot of extra treats like that on a regular basis. Maybe that just made me appreciate chocolate all the more as I got older.

One time Mom had bought a tin can of Hershey Chocolate syrup. It was sitting opened in the refrigerator tempting me. I was in Kindergarten at the time and had just gotten dressed for school. I was wearing a dress that I thought was very ugly; it was a yellow and green plaid number. I complained about having to wear it to my mother and was told that the dress was fine and that I would wear it that day. I wandered out to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator and that can of chocolate started to speak to me.

"Come on Dianne...just a taste...you know it will make all your problems feel better. One taste can even make that dress look pretty..."


I don't think I needed much persuasion because before I even knew how it happened, that can was tipped up to my lips and I was drinking sweet, sticky chocolate. Ohhh, it was delicious! And then...

...I noticed that all down the front of the offensive dress was dribbles and ribbons of dark gooey chocolate syrup. My heart sank to my toes. What was I going to do now? I tried to wipe it off but the thin ribbons of brown became larger and uglier. With my head down, I went to where my mom was combing my sister's hair and stood before her. I didn't say anything because I knew she saw right away what I'd done. I couldn't believe it, but she didn't really understand that that little can of chocolate syrup had a mind of it's own and did it on purpose to save me from the dress. She thought that I did it all on my own!

For the record, I really would've worn the dress, even hating it, that day. The chocolate incident was entirely coincidental. I just wanted a taste. Honest!

Now, I know that chocolate doesn't really solve my problems or make me truly happy. But I do know that it does bring a smile and it is okay to enjoy once in a while. Or everyday. What woman doesn't have a stash of her favorite chocolate in a secret hiding place? (Every woman but me apparently! I hope to remedy that soon.)


If my stash was supplied, it would have dark chocolate. I like Dove's and Ghiradelli's. A few Reese's Peanut Cups would be there too.

Maybe I'd throw in some white chocolate for Adrienne, and some milk chocolate for Amy and Heather. After all, we women must stick together!

Love,
Dianne









No comments:

Post a Comment