Thursday, March 22, 2012

Words to Live By

 They say that "a picture paints a thousand word", but what about what just one word says?

Here are a few of my favorites:

Vintage                     Carefree
Weathered                 Heirloom
Wardrobe                  Barnboards
Barefoot                    potting shed
Stoneware                 Loveseat
Breeze                       Thunderstorm
Umbrella                   History
Peace                        Hydrangea
Chifforobe                Parlor
Heritage                   Willow
Secret                       Antique 
Love                         Compassion
Joy                            Laughter 
Chaise                      Whimsical

See what I mean? Each word takes you somewhere, puts a picture in your head. These are words that make me pause, smile, and imagine. They inspire me. Words can make us happy, but they can make us sad too. "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me" is not true. Words evoke feelings and memories; not all of these are good. 

Tornado                     Illness                         Dark                      Forsaken
Argument                  Depression                  Alone                    Abandoned
Crash                         Hurry                          Nightmare             Torn
Pain                           Scream                        Isolation                 Bruise

Again, see what I mean? Words are powerful. In many ways, they leave an unseen bruise that doesn't heal quickly. I need to be careful with my words. When I am tired, worried, pushed for time, etc, my words can become critical and unkind. I blurt out what I am thinking and think I am justified, that I will feel better. 

But I don't feel better, I feel worse. Learning to control my words has been a long process, and is a continuing journey. I have regrets, I have spilled words out that have left nasty stains. But there is always the next minute, the next hour, the next day. I can make a choice.

Choice...that's another good word.

My Today Resolution is to think about my words, their impact, their value. Hopefully the ones that come out of my mouth will be worthwhile...

...and make you pause, smile, and imagine. 

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment