Friday, March 16, 2012

Random Acts of Randomness

The other day, Aaron had just driven in the driveway and I had a brilliant idea. (Well, brilliant might not be the best word...)

I yelled for Adrienne, Amy and Heather to come to the kitchen really quick and we were going to stand, looking solemn, and when Aaron walked through the front door, we were going to break out into a stunning, harmonious version of "The Sound of Music".
 Don't ask me where these ideas come from; they just randomly pop up in my brain. Maybe it is a Middle Child Syndrome. Whatever the cause, the ideas are there, totally random and spontaneous, and usually weird and eye-brow raising.

So....Aaron opens the door...we all look nervously at each other...and then I (whose idea this had been) burst into laughter, lots of laughter, and we never did execute the plan. Aaron just looked bewildered. And yes, I believe his eyebrows were raised, just a little.

I think the random ideas have always been there. I remember being in Elementary School, in Art Class, and being inspired to do something that I convinced my friend, Jencene, to join me in. We were going to put our fingers in our ears, close our eyes, and then stomp our feet and yell. Why? I really have no idea. Even writing about it now, I wonder what on earth I was thinking! Did I just want to see the reaction of the others around me? Did I want to see if we would get in trouble? Of course, to see the reaction, we should've had our eyes open...

Or the time in Middle School were we went from class to class, in a crowded hallway, on our knees. We looked weird, I am sure, in dresses, holding books, scooting down the hallway. Again, why? I still have no idea.

Except, I like to laugh.
I like quirky, funny things.
I like quirky, funny things or ideas that make me laugh.

Without laughter, I believe we would somehow dry up and blow away in the dusty wind. We need to laugh. Sometimes that means laughing at ourselves. My kids would say that does not mean laughing at them, and I really do try. Honest. But sometimes....

Like Aaron's one bad haircut...it was just so shocking when he took off his hat, I had to laugh.
Or when Heather found a dead mouse in her clothing drawer...
Or when Leo started singing, loudly I might add, at a Christmas program, when no one else in the audience was singing...

Okay, I should stop now before my family thinks I am trying to embarrass them. But really, I am laughing as I write this, just remembering those moments.

Random acts of randomness...do something today that makes you laugh. It really is good medicine.


Proverbs 15:30
A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones.
Proverbs 17:22
A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
Laugh out loud today!
Love, Dianne




4 comments:

  1. Your writings do me so much good. You make me think, laugh & sometimes cry with some of the memories. Don't ever stop writing.

    Love you,
    Aunt Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Marlene. This blog has become an important part of my daily life and as long as I am able to, I want to continue writing. Thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I just read this for the first time today and I am laughing out loud and I might even sing "The Hills are Alive" as my children come downstairs this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jencene, I hope you did it! In your best Maria Von Trapp voice, of course. At the mall the other day, there is a gazebo in the center, and I would have done a stirring rendition of "I am Sixteen" (including twirling around the gazebo) but it was taped off. I guess they saw me coming.

    ReplyDelete