Thursday, March 8, 2012

Laundry in the Spring

Yesterday and today are most definitely saying "SPRINGTIME!" I know it's only the beginning of March and that we could still get snow, maybe even lots of snow, but nevertheless, Spring is peeking at us in tantalizing glimpses of what is yet to be. 

I hung laundry out yesterday. As it whipped and flipped in the wind like it had aspirations of being a kite, I just thought about the simple act of hanging clothes outside. It would be so much simpler to toss it in the dryer, so why go through the bother of lugging a heavy basket of wet clothes outside? 

I like the feeling of stretching up to attach the shoulders and hems of clothing to the line. I think about all the women through the years who have done the same act of caring for their families. I think about how they didn't have the option of using an electric dryer and it makes me more thankful for mine. I like the feeling of accomplishment when I see the line full of clean clothes. 

And, yes, I do hang out everything. Even the "unmentionables". After all, whose going to see them? It's not like the milkman or the feed guy care. :)

When the clothes are dry, I like to fold them right off the clothesline. The jeans and towels might feel like they need some fabric softener, but I don't really care. The trade-off of softness for the smell of wind and sunshine in my clothes can't be beat. After all, who doesn't like climbing into bed after the sheets have been lazily soaking in the sun and the breezes during their turn on the line? 


And then after I hung out my clothes, I wandered around the yard, picking up stray sticks and twigs, noticing all the while all the little sprigs of green poking through the soil. A couple of crocuses and daffodils are starting to bloom.

I LOVE SPRING!







'For behold, the winter is past,
The rain is over
and gone.
'The flowers have
already appeared in the land;
The time has arrived for pruning
the vines,
And the voice of the turtledove has been heard in our land.
'The fig tree has ripened its figs,
And the vines in blossom have given forth
their fragrance. Arise, my darling, my beautiful one,
And come along!' "

Song of Solomon 2:11-13 (NASB) 


Love,
Dianne

1 comment:

  1. well mom if you like the stretch and the breeze you can do all the clothes hanging on the clothes line and laundry outside if you want. (wink wink) i'm just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete