Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Being Chosen

Everybody likes to win. Everybody wants to be a winner.  There is just something about a contest or game that attracts people. I think that it is an inside need that we all have, whether or not we ever verbalize it.

When I was a young girl, I loved going to the Mother-Daughter Banquet at our church for Mother's Day. Not only was it fun to be with all my friends and their mothers, but there were always door prizes. Every table would have a centerpiece on it, usually a plant or flower of some kind. During the evening's events, names would be drawn and the winners would get to pick a centerpiece. For three years in a row, my name was drawn. Now, it wasn't like there was only a small group there, it was a large group of women and daughters of all ages. My sisters thought it was so unfair.

I just thought I was lucky.  I would think to myself, "Too bad I can't play the lottery."

Then the winning streak ended.

Until I went to a scrapbooking retreat with my sister two years ago. Out of about 75 women, my name was drawn for a couple different drawings three times. Maybe now I should play the lottery.

Then that winning streak ended too. (My winning streaks are generally short-lived.)

The point is, I like winning. I like to be picked first. Shucks, I just like to be picked. Remember how in Middle School, you would pick your teams in gym class? I am not sure why I was always picked towards the last, but I was. I may not be the most athletic chick, but I didn't think I was that bad. Maybe I just looked too delicate and feminine to play...think about it...

No, that wasn't it.

I don't know why I was picked last, but it always stung a little, sometimes a lot. It is one thing to be picked at random because your name is drawn out of a hat, but it is quite another to be handpicked personally. Or in my case, not picked. Those memories and feelings stick with you throughout your life.

What I like about God is that He handpicked everyone of us, and not in any order of popularity.


Psalm 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light
Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a 
future."
Read more: http://www.bukisa.com/articles/255140_bible-verses-about-our-identity-in-christ#ixzz1pfSMKI7o



That makes us all winners!


Love,
Dianne

P.S. So, I am having a fun contest (see yesterday's blog #100) and it is totally random. Tonight I am drawing the names at 8:00. There may be 3 names that are "winners", but I think all my readers are winners. I like contests, the ones that don't, on purpose, put someone last. So there may be more in the future. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. I'll post the winners names tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment