Monday, March 26, 2012

Wanted: One Screen Door (screen & window optional)

Like most people, I have a screen door outside my front door. This door has been here for a long time, well before we ever moved here. Over the years, it has allowed entrance into this house for countless visitors and family members. This door has served us well. 
Anyone familiar with our home knows that our screen door is not just any old screen door. Ours has personality, it is unique. A few years ago, the door latch fell off. We always meant to replace it, but never got around to it. I suppose we got used to having to pry the door away from the doorframe it was nestled in, getting our fingertips on the side of the screen door just so....and then pulling the door open. Besides, it is a great deterrent for miscellaneous salesman when they can't get the door open. 


The other very unique feature about our door that makes it "one of a kind", is the missing top glass. This makes it very convenient when people stop by that you don't want to invite in. You just hang out the top of the door, pretending that this is normal and everyone does it this way, while you speak to the person outside. This also works when your house is messy and you don't want them to get too close to see the disaster in the kitchen. 

This is a nice way to give directions without ever having to step outside.
You can also check the fields behind the house for any stray cattle that have gotten out and are now eagerly eating tulips in the yard...

...which reminds me of why the door doesn't have a glass in the top anymore. 

I don't like animals in my flower beds. Whether it is a dog, a cat, or a cow, my gardens are not to be their personal salad bar, litter box, lounging area. Just thinking about it makes me want to snarl. Well, one day the cats were in the garden outside this door. I had chased them out numerous times already. I mean, they have the entire yard to lay in! But noooo, they lay on my plants, smashing them down. Grrrrrr. 

I finally thought "I'll show them! I'll scare them out of the flower bed!"So, I went to the door and hit the window. First, it was just enough that they looked at me, smugly I might add. I hit the window again and they stood up, and stretched. Now I was really getting mad. I hit the window with both palms and the window shattered all over the sidewalk. 

Oops. 

The cats fled in terror (well, they sauntered away with their noses in the air) and my kids looked at me with their mouths hanging open, their eyes wide, speechless. Finally, one of them says quietly, "I'm sure glad that was you and not one of us." 

Way to be a good example there, Dianne!

Lesson learned: Doing something in anger usually never ends well. And the cats still like that flower bed. I guess they figure I won't be slamming on the bottom glass (it's plexiglass and has already been broken once or twice by a young Aaron running to get out the door and slamming into it!). 

We should probably replace the old door, but somehow it doesn't feel right to do so. It's earned it's place and we probably wouldn't know how to open a door with a handle anyhow. 

Love, 
Dianne

2 comments:

  1. Please don't replace that door. It would make me inexplicably sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,
    Really? To think about opening our door without any weirdness doesn't make your heart flutter? : ) I'd kinda miss it too. Maybe I could put it out in my garden, in the woods, like a secret doorway.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete