Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Food for Thought...on Leo's Birthday

Today was Leo's birthday. Every time I'd ask him what he wanted for his birthday, he'd just say "You." I'd reply, "You already have me." 
He'd say "That's enough for me."
I always knew I was too much to handle.  

Soooo, for his birthday, I took him out to eat last night at The Pine Lodge at Deep Creek Lake, and then this evening, I made supper. Chicken, coleslaw, rice, homemade bread with strawberry jam (from last summer's strawberries), and strawberry shortcake. 

Now, for some of you who cook every meal at your house, this may not seem like much. Years ago, before I ever went to college, I did most of the cooking. But then, I was in college full-time and then working full-time and cooking became more of a chore, a burden. I really did not enjoy cooking, baking, grilling, frying, steaming, sautéing, or stir-frying anymore. I dreaded it most of the time. 
What do I make?
Do I have the ingredients?
Do I have to run to the store? 
What will the kids eat?
Didn't we just have that two nights ago?
What can I make that will be nutritious and delicious?
                                                                
Leo was on the farm then and although busy with farm work, and helping with the kids, he took over the chore of cooking. He is a genius at using leftovers from the fridge and miscellaneous items from the pantry! Most of what he'd throw together, often at the last minute, was always delicious. 

Except for the chicken alfredo. Never add large amounts, if any, of nutmeg. 

Other than that....he is a chef this woman dreams of. 

I got used to him doing a lot of the cooking for our family; I got lazy about it. I did the grocery shopping and an occasional meal here and there, but Leo was the main man in the kitchen. 

(You could say he was the main dish.) 

Since he went to work off the farm, I've had to pick the cooking reins back up again, at least more than I used to. Now it is more of a team effort between the two of us. I am actually enjoying cooking again. I like looking up recipes and trying new dishes again. I like having a sister who sells Pampered Chef. I am enjoying cooking, baking, grilling, frying, steaming, sautéing, and stir-frying again. 

I am thankful God brought me back to a place where I am able to do this again and have fun with it. 
I am thankful for my husband and that I could give him a meal on his birthday. 
With lots of love mixed in, of course. 
The Bread from beginning...

...the middle...
...and the end. Not bad!
Yum Yum Yum

Love,
Dianne






No comments:

Post a Comment