Saturday, March 17, 2012

That First Date with Leo

What were you doing 26 years ago today?
I was thinking about what to wear on my first date with Leo.

I don't think Leo intended for St. Patrick's Day to be the day for out first date, it just so happened that it was a Monday and that it was Christian Skate Night at the Starlite Roller Rink in LaVale, MD. That was our first date: Roller-skating followed by food at McDonalds.

I was 15 years old and he was 19 (tuning 20 by the end of the month). I know! What were my parents thinking of letting me go?! I didn't think I was young at the time, but looking back....yeah, I was young. I didn't even have my driver's permit yet.

Leo had called me the day before, when I was at my grandparent's house for lunch, and asked me if I would go roller-skating with him the next night. This wasn't really unusual as the youth group at church would go once in a while; we had actually gone the month before with a small group of friends. But then, it started to sink in...it would be just the two of us.

No one else, just us. Me and Leo. On a date.

I wore a pair of jeans and a white polo shirt that had little tiny hearts (in all colors) all over it. Very preppy, very mid-1980's Mennonite. He wore jeans and a pullover shirt with horizontal turquoise stripes with one red stripe thrown in across his manly chest. I didn't like his shoes; they were blue tennis shoes and looked a little too mid-1980's Mennonite. I figured we could work on that later. We looked cute together as we headed off into the sunset in his car.

Leo drove a 1970-something Monte Carlo, affectionately dubbed "The Bomber". At age 15, I didn't appreciate cars much, and I thought the car was rather ugly. Little did I realize at the time how much I would think about that car in years to come and wish we still had it. Leo let me drive it through The Cove (the road I lived on) on our way home that night. I was in Driver's Ed at the time, but let's just say that Leo did not ask me out based on my driving skills alone. I weaved and wove the two miles to my house at  10 mph and somehow managed to park it without hitting any trees.

As for the date? We had fun roller-skating and of course, we skated every couple's skate together. Conversation wasn't too awkward from what I remember, other than the fact that I probably talked too much. Leo was a gentleman and I hoped we would go out again sometime...

...and we did, that same week, and pretty much, every week after that until we were married.

Now, 26 years later, we may not go roller-skating anymore (although we could try it...), but I'll take ballroom classes over skating any day!

Thanks Leo, for asking me out that first time. I thought you were sweet, cute, and nice. Now? I think you are sweeter, oh so handsome, and way nicer than I ever deserved. I love you!

Here's to First Dates!
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment