Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Machines and Madness

I am working on "Continuing Education Units", fondly referred to as "CEU's". These are for my nursing certification in Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing. As you can see, I am taking a break. For the most part, I like learning new concepts and reinforcing old ones, but sometimes I really am lazy about it.

Right now, I am trying to simply take the test that is required at the end of the lesson to get my CEU. I am motivated. I am really trying. BUT...the test is not loading!!@!## Did I just spend 2 hours reading and scrolling through the lesson to not be able to complete it?

I am going to try to exit out of everything and try again...

If I am not back in 10 minutes, send out a search party...

I am back. Along with a cup of coffee. I took the test and passed (whew!). Now to move on to the next topic (The Hematologic System) Ooohh, why can't they just say "Blood"?

I am wondering why computers, and other mechanical, technical things, make me so frustrated at times. It is not just the computer, but my sewing machine, my car stereo, my Cricut (for scrapbooking) and my car. I have been known to yell loudly at these machines; they have reduced me to sobs.
 Like the time the computer ate a 15 page paper for Human Growth and Development.
Or when my old car stereo sucked in a favorite CD and refused to give it back and then after I managed to pry it out, refused to play anything else.
Or when my sewing machine kept tangling threads underneath the seam no matter what I did to adjust the thread tension.

They are just stupid machines after all. Why do they make me so mad?

Maybe I am mad at myself that I just can't figure it out. When the same sort of madness happens to my children, I calmly tell them that getting mad at the computer doesn't help, that they need to just calm done and take a breath.

But then I don't follow my same advice. I do just the opposite, even when I know better. I think it is a case of "Machine Madness", a form of temporary insanity, that takes over the user of the offending machine.

I believe the cure is coffee and chocolate.

I still don't have chocolate in my stash (I really need to fix that!!) but I am finishing my second cup of coffee and I feel sooo much better.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment