Thursday, February 23, 2012

My Someday Kitchen Right Now

Lately, I have been in a Spring Housecleaning kind of mood. The kitchen has been my victim.  Somehow it just seems the place to start as it is the first room anyone visiting our house sees. It tends to get the messiest too (this is not counting individual bedrooms!).








 I still like my kitchen, but over the past 15 years, it has been used hard. There are a couple of holes in the drywall. One is behind where I hang my apron (and you wondered why I never wear it), and the other is behind the dry erase/bulletin board (and you wondered why it was hanging so low). That hole, a rather large one, came from Adrienne in a moment of excitement over going to a friend's house. She ran to go to the stairs and ran into the wall instead. And went right through it.


The wormy chestnut around the sink, which I had initially liked, has not held up well with all the dishes washed and all the water that has managed to get out of the sink. If I had a food inspector come to my house, he'd probably arrest me on the spot for how it looks around the sink. I can't believe I am admitting this, but one time a seed actually sprouted in the crack between the sink and the cupboard.

Speaking of the cupboards, there are 2 rather small sections of them. One, I actually really like because it is old and fits my farmhouse. I painted the top ones once and am trying to decide the next color. When our kitchen gets a makeover, that cupboard stays even if it plain and by some standards, outdated. The other set is just the lower cupboards and I am not so fond of them. They are 1990's and don't say "farmhouse" to me; they say "I was a quick fix". And truly, they have served their purpose fairly well. To be fair, it probably wasn't totally the cabinet's fault that the doors have all been broken and fixed a couple times. Children climbing and swinging on the doors may have had something to do with their demise.

I like dreaming about my "someday kitchen". I have lots of ideas and I like clipping pictures from magazines and pinning on Pinterest. It all costs money, as it should, and we just need to keep saving up, little by little. Someday, we may get around to doing the whole kitchen redo, but for now, I need to just do little things to keep it going. Who knows, I may just end up really liking it and not going for the whole complete makeover, just the parts that really need it.

I need to be thankful for my kitchen, even as it is. I could be having to haul water to cook with and build a fire. Someday I may have a range hood, more cupboard space, an adequate place to put a garbage can, and an oven that cleans itself, but in the meantime, I choose to be thankful.

Now, what should I make for supper?

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment