Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Ink Spot Blotting

Sometimes it is the unexpected things that take up your time.

Like a mischievous pen that decided to leak black ink on the futon.

I just happened to be folding clothes and sorting them on the futon while I watched HGTV. Too bad they weren't having a show about removing stains. Maybe if it was Martha Stewart...

Maybe if I was Martha Stewart...

Okay, I started by just blotting the ink spot with dry napkins. And I blotted and blotted.
Then I got some hairspray and sprayed it on, and blotted and blotted. And blotted.

Even after spending 20 minutes doing this, I still haven't gotten it all out. It's like the Dr. Suess book where Thing 1 and Thing 2 get all this pink ink everywhere. To clean it up, The Cat In The Hat used Vroom.

 I could really use some of that now. I wonder if it works on skin?
And it seems like it is getting darker the longer it is on my skin. I think I prefer paint to ink.

So, it is the unexpected things that take up my time sometimes. The choice I have to make, is what I am going to do with the unexpected. Sometimes, the surprises in life are nice, like your husband calling out of the blue and asking you to meet him for lunch. Or you get an unexpected package that you need to run out to the post office for.

But sometimes, the unexpected is not so nice. A sick child, a flood in the garden, a flat tire, your husband calling to say he is not going to get home until late, and the list could go on...

I could talk about the really bad things, like finding out you have a serious illness, or the death of a family member or a close friend, but for today, I'm not. I need to work on dealing with the small things. Somehow, that reflects more how anchored I am in what I believe than the big things. If I react with a meltdown over the small things, or have a crisis over a change of plans, that tells me that I am not grounded very well. It's time to find some balance. Faith, family, work, life...they all need balanced.

And somewhere in that balance, I need a way to maintain and reestablish equilibrium when the unexpected occurs.

Like a pen leak.


2 Corinthians 4:17 (NIV) For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment