Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Explanation of a Title

"Vintage Dandelion"...why?

When I started this blog, I needed to come up with a title for it. I tried various things, but everything was taken already. I honestly can't even remember what else I tried, because now vintageDandelion is just who I am.

"Vintage". I just really like the word. It like how it sounds and I like the picture in my head that I get when I say it.
       Old elaborate keys and sepia photos,
       women in hats with ribbons and flowers,
       ivory colored lace,
       wooden doors,
       houses with towers and curlicue trim work,
       front porches with swings,
       homemade ice-cream,
       lazy summer days,
       fireflies at dusk,
       traveling by train,
       yes ma'am and no sir,
       one-room schoolhouses,
       and classic literature.

 You get the idea. I know that "back then", the good old days weren't always good, and certainly weren't always easy, but the feeling is just there. I am not sure I can explain it, but life was, in many ways, simpler and slower-paced. Even the 1970ies is starting to feel like the good old days to me.

"Dandelion". I like gardening. I like flowers. But why a dandelion? They are probably not listed anywhere near the top of my list of favorite flowers, but somehow it also just fit. First of all, my name starts with a "D" and so does dandelion. Then I thought about how chipper the little yellow blossoms are. I gave dandelion bouquets as a kid and I've gotten them from my children. They are a flower that just begs to be used to encourage somebody. And simply because there is no lack of them anywhere, they can be picked freely, with wild abandon. I like that.

Dandelions are also multifaceted. When they are young and tender, they wind up in salads (which I can't say that I really like all that much). Then they become the cheerful yellow blossoms that are everywhere and are the basis of those oft-given bouquets. After that they become the fluffy white puffballs that everybody has picked and blown while making a wish. Those seeds scatter and the cycle starts all over again. I would like to think that I am a little like the dandelion in that I am also multifaceted. I am not just a mother, just a wife, just a nurse, just a friend. I am all of those things at the same time in varying degrees.

So, that's me: vintageDandelion. I hope that I can continue to make my blog a place of inspiration, not just  for whoever reads it, but for myself as well.

Love,
Dianne









No comments:

Post a Comment