Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Style of My Own

I was watching HGTV this morning and it got me thinking about style. What is style and what does it matter? According to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/style:

Definition of STYLE

2
a : a distinctive manner of expression (as in writing or speech) <writes with more attention to style than to content> <the flowery style of 18th century prose>b : a distinctive manner or custom of behaving or conducting oneself <the formal style of the court> <hisstyle is abrasive>also : a particular mode of living <in high style>c : a particular manner or technique by which something is done, created, or performed <a unique style of horseback riding> <the classical style of dance>
Okay, so style has something to do with expression, manner, technique and the way one conducts themselves. I think your style, whether it is in clothing or how we decorate our house is a reflection of who you are. If that is the case, what is my style and what does it say about me?

I walked around my house and took a few pictures that show in a small way how I like to decorate. I like vintage, antique, and history. I like plants, mason jars and old tins. I like green, red, brown, and neutral colors mixed together. I like texture. I like photos, lots of photos. And I like books, lots of books. I like what I have around me to tell a story. 















                                                                           


My sewing corner, complete with all kinds of memorabilia to look at to inspire me.

Sometimes I wonder what the "style experts" would say if they came to my house.
"I can't believe she did that to this room! Whatever was she thinking?"
"This woman has no sense of style!"
"She needs help!"

Are these the things they would say as they repainted and rearranged? Or would they like it?
And would I care?

You see, I like my house. I decorate with what feels right to me. It may not be worthy of a magazine layout, it may not be what the up-to-date interior design people like, it is certainly not modern. But it is me. 

And after all, isn't that what style is about? Being yourself, and letting yourself shine. Now my house isn't just about me, it is about my family. I hope what I do reflects that. Let me know what you think next time you visit! 

Love,
Dianne



No comments:

Post a Comment