Monday, February 20, 2012

Simply Beautiful

I finished up 3 busy nights at work, came home and slept a couple of hours, and am now drinking a hazelnut coffee while relaxing on the couch. The sun is shining, and Spring is in the air. If I had a pot of honey I'd feel like Winnie The Pooh. 

Last night, driving over to work, I started thinking about beauty. What is "beauty"? What do I find beautiful? 


Definition of BEAUTY

1
: the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit : loveliness
2
: a beautiful person or thing; especially : a beautiful woman
3
: a particularly graceful, ornamental, or excellent quality
4
: a brilliant, extreme, or egregious example or instance<that mistake was a beauty>

I like how in #2 it mentions "especially: a beautiful woman".  No pressure there.  And again, I wonder...what do I think is beautiful?
When it comes to a person, a woman to be more specific, I think beauty is both inside and outside. To me, a beautiful woman is:
Someone who is confident in who she is as a woman  and embraces that. Like the woman who can walk with her head held high, whether she is wearing an old pair of jeans and a t-shirt or dressed for an evening out on the town. 
Someone who takes time to take care of her physical appearance but doesn't make that her primary focus. (We have all met the gorgeous woman with the stinky attitude that after a little while in her company, we decide she is not so pretty after all. )
Someone who smiles with her whole being.
Someone who isn't afraid to smile like that. 
Someone who can comfort a child when he cries.
Someone who can laugh with a child without reservation.
Someone who is able to talk to anyone, whether they are talking to the person who has it all "together, or the the person who is addicted to drugs. 
Someone who knows how to dress her body. We come in all shapes and sizes, but when you know how to wear clothes that fit your shape...wow. 
To me, that woman is beautiful. Beauty is not just for the young, the thin, the flawless outer shell. Beauty is more than skin deep, but it does include the skin. 
I was looking for a quote about beauty and on the page I went to, in the sidebar, there was an ad for photo retouching. It was showing a woman, looking natural, then transforming into the "beautiful" woman, with no blemish or imperfection. Sigh. And I never did find a quote that said what I wanted. 
I guess I'll make my own. 
"Beauty is not limited by age, race, gender, or size. It is only limited by how we perceive ourselves." 
So go look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are beautiful. 
I. Am. Beautiful. 
Simply because God created you, you are beautiful. 
Love, Dianne



No comments:

Post a Comment