Friday, February 10, 2012

Another Baby

I held a baby today.

Now I know that sounds kinda funny considering I hold lots of babies at work. But this was different. This was Levi, a close friend's baby; a baby that I could just hold and snuggle and not have to worry about what time he ate or what his poop looked like. I didn't have to chart anything and it was lovely.

I held a baby today, simply for the joy of it. And I smiled...a lot. So did he. And neither one of us was smiling because we had gas. We smiled because we were enjoying being together.

Holding Levi and smelling his baby smells, seeing his toothless grin, hearing his coos and goos, and hugging his chubby legs all made me think about having just one more. One more baby. Sometimes those maternal feelings just rise up inside and I remember all those incredible moments...

Finding out I was pregnant again after having had a miscarriage...
Hearing the heartbeat for the 1st time and seeing the little jellybean that would become Adrienne...
...Aaron...Amy...Heather...Ryan...
Feeling those first flutters and kicks...
Watching my belly get bigger and rounder...
Labor pains (and yes, you do look back on them with fond memories)...
Those first cries...
Those first smiles..
The belly laughs that surprises even them...
The sticky fingers around your neck when they hug you...
Wet kisses...
Family time with everyone on the bed...
Taking care of a sick child all night...praying...
Hearing your child pray for the first time...
Kids jumping on the trampoline...
Kickball in the summer...
Arguments, I mean, discussions, around the supper table...
Watching Aaron learn to play piano...
Watching Amy's art develop...
Watching Heather dance...
Watching Adrienne lead out with other young people...
Watching Ryan learn to love to read...

The years have passed; it has been 8 1/2 years since a baby was born into this household. And, you know, I am okay with that. Even though sometimes that maternal urge kicks in and you think about a baby, it happens rarely now. I am at a different season. I am enjoying my family and the place we are today. I am content...

...and I can always go visit Levi and his mama when I need to.

Thanks Little Buddy! I enjoyed out morning together.
Love,
Dianne



No comments:

Post a Comment