Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Lovin' my Leo

Twenty-six years ago, I started to notice this blond-haired, blue-eyed guy at youth group and church events. I'd known him for awhile, but now I was noticing him. Really noticing him.

And wondering if he was noticing me too.

He was.

I was 15 and he was 19 when we went on out first date to the Starlite Roller Rink in LaVale, MD. After that first date, I don't think we ever looked back. It was just, well, it was right.

A lot of people told me I was too young to know what I wanted out of life. I was even told by a teacher that I'd be throwing my life away if I got married young; that it was pretty much going to end in divorce.

We dated anyways. Cause we were in love. It didn't happen right away, at least not for me. I wasn't really sure I knew what love was. I didn't want to say "I love you" just because Leo said it first.

(You did know that was Leo I was talking about, right?)

So, it went a little while after we started dating before I ventured to say those words. It's kinda funny, but I don't remember that exact moment, that first time I said it. However,  I do remember the first time Leo told me he loved me. He was driving me home in his old Monte Carlo (The Bomber) and we had just passed where the Hamburger House used to be in Accident. He said those words and then asked me if I was scared. I said "no", but inside I was a mix of excitement, happiness, and yes, a little fear.

But gradually, as we spent time together, I did fall in love. And it was not just over the good times, the fun times with the youth group, going bowling, eating out, watching M*A*S*H at my parents house, and riding horse at his house, although they all were part of it.
 I fell in love as I watched him grieve the loss of a nephew and I saw how he let it make him a stronger, better man instead of beating him down.
I fell in love when I saw how much he loved his family and wasn't afraid to show his love to his family.
I fell in love when he teased his mom and made her laugh.
I fell in love because he treated me like a lady even when I didn't feel very graceful or ladylike.
I fell in love when he played with my little sister and didn't treat her like she was in the way.
I fell in love because he was a man of integrity and honor.
He was, and is the man for me.

Leo, I just want to say I love you. I really love you. You are the man I fell in love with when I was 16, the man I married when I was 18, and the man I want to continue to grow old with. You are like a fine wine, you've only gotten better!


Dont' ask why I am holding a gun. I don't even know the answer to that one. 

Fresh and energized after a 21 mile bike ride...


I didn't know what to give you for Valentine's Day, so at the risk of sounding completely corny, I am giving you my heart, all of it. I love you. XOXO

Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment