Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Two of My Favorite Things

Doing dishes and laundry are two of my most favorite ways to spend a day off from work. The smell of laundry detergent is delightful and the aroma of Palmolive is divine.

Oh wait, that wasn't me talking; that was my evil twin. Or is she evil? I mean, after all, she loves dirty dishes and stinky wet laundry.

What I would really like to know is how dishes and mounds of linen can multiply like they do. I can do up all the dishes, go to work, come home again, and the sink is overflowing (with dishes, not water). The same thing happens with laundry. I do a load of towels, restock the bathroom, and a day later the piles of neatly folded brown, green, and white towels are gone.


I thought I had solved the towel mystery once when I went into Amy's room to collect 1 or 2 dirty towels and came out with 13.  Yeah, 13 towels. I don't think she collects them like that anymore though.

Socks are another mystery. Everyone it seems, has a pile of mismatched socks in their home. Of all sizes and colors. I tried buying all white socks once, but that was just as hard to match because you may have had the same sock, but in two or three different sizes. Or someone made the bottom of their socks dirtier than the other person and so, even when clean, the whites didn't quite match.

I now buy socks in whatever color I like or think the child wearing them would like. Then they are easy to match, but I sometimes have a hard time remembering which pair belongs to which person.  For the most part, the older four do their own laundry and so their socks just get tossed in with their clothing. This has made my life easier, although I still find miscellaneous odd socks here and there.

It's like they have a mind of their own.

Actually, I don't mind folding clothes and towels too much. I can even watch a movie while doing the chore. It's the putting away of the clothes that I don't like. If I open a drawer to put something away and I see that Ryan has everything else in there unfolded, I end up folding all those too. And I get frustrated because I really wonder what the point is; it's all going to get unfolded again anyhow.

As for the dishes, I sometimes feels pointless too. We're just going to eat again and make them dirty all over again. But I just can't go to using all paper products. (We actually knew a family that did this.) I like pretty dishes, holiday dishes, dishes that are fun, dishes that fit the mood and decor. So I will wash them.
Or my kids will wash them. (I like that even better!)


 For a day, if I really wanted to feel caught up, we could all be naked and eat off the table.

Or not.

That is not a pretty picture in my head right now.

Maybe, to erase that image, you'd like to see the view from my kitchen window by the sink.



Ahh, now that's better! 

Til tomorrow....fold some laundry, do some dishes....it's not pointless. It's taking care of my family!

Love, Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment