Friday, January 27, 2012

I Love Rock 'n' Roll...

When I was younger I wanted to be a rock star.

I was a teenager in the decade of the 80ies and 'rock star' was cool to the utmost.
The hair
       The clothes
              The hair
                     The makeup
                            The hair
                                   The guitars

What was I thinking? A Mennonite girl who wasn't allowed to wear makeup, who wore my long uncut hair pretty much one way, who almost always wore a dress or skirt, and the music I listened to was a new Christian radio station in Grantsville (yes, it was WAIJ) that seemed to play a lot of Southern Gospel.

Hardly the stuff to make me rock-star quality.

But then my older sister Kim, got a record album by Mylon LeFevre and Broken Heart. Now they weren't like the other bands that I really wasn't supposed to be listening too; you know, Van Halen, The Police, and Aerosmith. This was a Christian Rock Band. Shocking, I know.
This is the cover of that album. 
The church youth group went to one of their concerts in 1985 (I think) and had the first few rows filled up. When the band came on with the smoke, the lights, and the guitars, it was AWESOME!  Later, at home, I'd practice their 'moves' in front of my mirror. That is, until my dad saw me through the window. Totally embarrassing.

So, that was my intro to the world of Contemporary Christian music. My friend loved the 'heavier' stuff by Stryper (as my son laughs insanely at what we called rock music)

Stryper in the 80ies
The hair!!!!
















Yes, I wanted to be a rock star. I, like Joan Jett, 'loved Rock and Roll', and after all, 'girls just want to have fun' (Cyndi Lauper). At the Starlite Roller Rink in LaVale MD, I could 'Whip It' (Devo) with the best of 'em. 

But a rock star I was not destined to be....

I like to look back and remember, but I am happy where I am. And in those moments, when the rock star Dianne starts to surface, I always have those moments in my car or in the shower to let loose. 

Rock On!
Dianne








7 comments:

  1. Oh, the memories! That Mylon concert was my first concert experience. I remember how we listened to their songs over and over again at Jencene's before the concert. We sure were ready to rock by the time we saw them on stage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya-mah, Ya-ma Yeeaah-ah...Trains Up in The Sky...
      Remember Melvin & Gloria sitting in the front row?

      Delete
  2. I was there too. And now, thanks to you reply to Phebe, I now have that song stuck in my head. Haha! Good stuff and good memories!
    Did you go to the Stryper concert? I remember being blown away...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never went to the Stryper concert. I can't even imagine what that would've been like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that good old Christian rock too :) Saw Mylon at Creation. Used to work at WAIJ & completely understand-I worked Sat-Wed afternoons & evenings. Didn't like it much when I was called to the morning shift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I kinda remember you being on there actually. Wow. Do your kids realize you were a WAIJ celebrity?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never forget that Mylon concert. You know a few years ago, Stryper was trying to make a comeback. I went to Pittsburg with Tim to see them. I even got to personally meet them afterwards. Not much changed except their hair wasn't quite so big! Jencene

    ReplyDelete