Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Tale of a Kite

I know it's still January; at least for a couple more days. But this morning, the colors and the light outside felt like Spring. The air had just the smallest hint of March in it.

And I liked it. So did Ryan.

Maybe it was that tiny hint of March, but after lunch, he found the kite. He determined that he was going to fly it. So off he went outside into the wind. He looked a little bit like Christopher Robin and I was expecting Piglet and Pooh Bear to show up.

Try as he might to get the kite into the air, it just spun in circles, lots of circles. Apparently, the tail of the kite is important, so we tied more onto it to make it a proper tail. He tried again. And again.

Finally, the kite was airborne! I yelled a congratulations out the window and then decided to take some pictures. Just as I get outside and get the camera ready to capture the rainbow kite against the blue sky, it twisted and twirled like a tipsy ballerina and caught in the branches of a tree.

It was like it did it on purpose!

Ryan got the kite free and no sooner did he get it aloft, it again went into the tree. Not only did it catch in the branches, but it began it's crazy spinning again. This time is was really tangled in the branches. I thought for just a brief moment that I would have to climb up into the tree and execute a rescue of sorts. Then I began winding in the string and the branch began to bend towards me.

I stretched.
I stood on tippy-toes.
I jumped.
I caught the tip of the branch and unwound the kite.
We did it!!
But now the kite refused to get back up in the air. Even after we gently untangled the long lengths of tail from the string, it still refused.

By now, I have more than realized that it is still January and I am freezing. My fingers were feeling numb and even though it looked kinda warm outside, it most definitely was not.

The two of us, looking a little now like Kanga and Roo, went into the warm house. Maybe we'll try again in February. Maybe March, on another "blustery day".

Love,
 Dianne





No comments:

Post a Comment