Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Milkman, The Feed Guy, and a Stranger

Just because you live down a country lane doesn't mean you should be careless about what you wear, or don't wear, around the house. The same applies for outside the house.

When Adrienne and Aaron were little, soon after we had moved here, they were playing in a huge mud puddle out by the machine shed. I was in the shower and had just gotten out and thrown on a large t-shirt when these two mud-covered, dripping children tried to enter the house. I promptly stopped them from coming in and the 3 of us went out to the milkhouse so I could hose them down. Leo saw me and warned me that I shouldn't come outside with so little clothing on.

My response: "Why, no one ever comes down here! Who's going to see me anyhow?"

Famous last words.

No sooner did I send my now naked, but clean children scampering to the house, but a car comes past the barn into the driveway. Leo looked at me and I looked at him. He was going to go talk to them, right?
With a smile (or a smirk), he indicated that I should go. Now remember, I had nothing on but a t-shirt. But I knew that somehow, I was going to learn a lesson here.

So, as the kids made for the front door with the car now coming to a stop on that side of the house, I made for the basement door on the other side. Throwing clothes on as I dashed through the basement and up the stairs, I made it to the front door and calmly opened it.

The man standing there is laughing and he says, "Why, that was one of the cutest things I've ever seen!"
I hope he meant Adrienne and Aaron. I'll never know cause I sure wasn't going to ask.

You probably thinking that I learned my lesson that day. I didn't.

A few years later, the milkman knocked on the porch door (no curtain to block the view) and caught me in the kitchen with jeans and a bra on. Now, I was holding Heather (my baby at the time), so I am pretty sure he didn't see much, but still....

Now I learned my lesson?

A few years after that incident, I was in the kitchen after just getting up. I was in the process of getting dressed and had a pair of jeans on. That's it. The kitchen door was open and I was standing by it. Maybe I thought I'd get some sun. Maybe I was just stupid.

When I saw movement out of the corner of my eye, I turned to fully face the door. It took a moment, but then it registered that the Feed Guy (for the cows) was standing there. Looking at me. Without a shirt. I turned around and much like the runner in "Chariots of Fire" I left the kitchen.

Poor Leo had to go outside then and talk to the Feed Guy who couldn't even look him in the eye. I am not sure, but I don't think that particular salesman ever came back to the house again. At least, if he did, he only ever stopped at the barn and didn't venture close to the house.

Have I learned my lesson?
Maybe. I'll wait a few years and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment