Thursday, January 5, 2012

An Acquired Taste

This morning before driving home from work, I needed to fuel up. So, I stopped at The Beanery.
That's right, I knew that Large Coconut Creme Cappuccino would get me home.

Ohhh,,,,,and it was good...and I don't even like coconut.

Years ago, another lifetime really, I hated the taste of coffee. I always thought it smelled good, but even a sip would make my tastebuds rebel. I even thought Leo should stop drinking so much of the nasty brew.

Then I tried a cappuccino at a food show. It was probably more like hot chocolate than a true coffee-based cappuccino, but it was a start. I decided that maybe, just maybe, I'd give it a try. After all, I was in nursing school, and I needed to drink coffee for the caffeine, right?

Now mind you, it took a while to graduate from powdered cappuccino packets to rich, dark, strong coffee. And I still haven't mastered the art of drinking "black coffee". I don't really want my coffee to grow hairs on my chest. I like my coffee flavored with some decadent goodness,
                                like caramel,
                                like chocolate,
                                like sweet cream,
                                like maple and brown sugar,
                                and even coconut creme.

Oh, and a dollop of whipped cream on top is never a bad thing.
But you have to start with coffee. Real coffee. All the rest that you add, is just icing on the cake.

For me, a good cuppa joe is more than just a way to wake up ("...the best part of waking up is Folger's in your cup..."), it is a comfort food. I look forward to making the coffee for the day, afternoon, evening, middle of the night, whenever I may need a moment to sip and savor. I enjoy picking out the mug I will drink from; it has to fit the mood and season. I like to relax, read, and relish my coffee break.

And besides, coffee technically is a vegetable. It does come from a bean, after all.
So, if a have a mocha (coffee + chocolate), it's like having two servings of vegetables.
Cause, you know, chocolate comes from a bean too.



No comments:

Post a Comment