Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Siesta

There is nothing quite like a good foot rub and a nap on a Sunday afternoon.  Somehow, taking a Sunday siesta doesn't make you feel guilty like it would any other day of the week. Rather, it is almost a requirement.

When I was a kid though, I couldn't understand at all why my parents would want to sleep part of a perfectly good day away. Why not play outside, read a book, play a game?

Now, I understand.


Not that I take a snooze every Sunday. Sometimes I enjoy curling up with an intriguing book or good movie. In the summer I like to read out in the hammock. On a winter day, scrapbooking is a desirable pastime.  Spring and Fall are ideal for a walk through the woods or down along River Road. Occasionally, if the weather is right, I just can't help but to dig in the dirt, pull a few weeds, plant something. Maybe some would call that working on a Sunday, and not keeping one of the Ten Commandments, but to me, it's relaxing.

Right now, as I am typing this, I am kinda watching the Ravens vs. Patriots football game with Leo. Go Steelers! (Sorry, force of habit.)  I did doze off earlier for about 30 minutes. Amy and Heather are watching an episode of Psych, Adrienne is taking a nap, Ryan is drawing, and Aaron just got home from an overnight job. A relaxing, no-agenda, afternoon. Oh yeah...

Now, if this was years ago, my mom would be making ice-cream, the homemade pizza would be started, and later, the popcorn would be popped and we would eat after my dad got home from doing the farm chores.

For today, I'll just live the moment. Maybe I'll venture outside when Leo goes to the barn. Maybe I'll walk up the lane and back. Maybe I'll look through a gardening magazine. Maybe I'll just go make some popcorn. . .

Love,
Dianne


1 comment:

  1. Time to write a book Diane..you do have a talent for writing.

    ReplyDelete