Sunday, January 8, 2012

Driving Lessons

I spend a lot of time in my car (Scarlet) going to and from work. Probably between 6 1/2 to 7hrs a week is spent behind the wheel driving. It gets old, really old.

I don't like being bored and sometimes driving the same road becomes tedious. I need to change it up a little, so I do things like listen to books on CD or sing along to K-Love radio or to another CD. I wish there was a way to exercise effectively in the car, cause I would try that too. When I was in school, I'd record the lectures and play them back during the drive to help me study.

Some books I have "read" are The Lord of The Rings Trilogy (twice), The Chronicles of Narnia, The O'Malley Series by Dee Henderson, and the King Raven Trilogy by Stephen Lawhead. (I am ready to start Book 3 Tuck of that series). I also listen to Adventures in Odyssey, a children's radio program by Focus on The Family. This passes the time effectively and even allows me to look forward to the drive if I am really into the book.

Something else the drive is good for is thinking and planning. The problem is remembering later! I also use the time to pray. Keep a prayer list on your sun visor as a reminder.

Being that I spend so much time in my car, I eat there too. I do not recommend a hot, steaming bowl of Ramen Noodles. When they dump in your lamp while sitting at the light in Salisbury, it makes you do a frantic form of dance to get the hot, oh so hot, noodles off your now scalded skin. Not to mention making the other people at the light turn away in embarrassment at the strange sight and sounds coming from your car. Therefore, sandwiches and finger foods work best.

Eating helps to keep me awake too, in the mornings on my way home. Some of the time. I do pull over and take a nap when I just can't go anymore. When I get sleepy driving, it is pretty much a lost cause. The best times to take a nap in your car is in the Spring and Fall. Like with Goldilocks and The Three Bears, I don't like it too hot or too cold, but just right. Nobody likes to wake up feeling like either an icicle or like they've been done to medium rare. Yep, Spring and Fall are the best.

Maybe someday, I will have a car that I can program to do the driving for me and I'll just be along for the ride. Until that day comes, I guess I'll just enjoy the drive, taking advantage of the time to myself, to think and pray (with my eyes open of course), to sing and dance (well, kinda) to a favorite song, or take in a good book that I wouldn't take the time to read at home.

Vroooooom!

No comments:

Post a Comment