Friday, January 6, 2012

Ritual and Routine

We humans are such creatures of habit. Most of us like to get up at around the same time everyday and then we follow a routine of some kind.

Go to the bathroom.
Brush teeth.
Step on the scales to see if that piece of pie was worth it.
                                     (Believe me, the pie was worth it!)
Stumble to the kitchen (stumbling because I still haven't had my coffee)
Make coffee.
Eat breakfast (usually yogurt with fruit and granola with some flaxseed thrown in)
Drink coffee while having some devotional/Bible reading time.
Make my to-do list for the day
Etc etc...

We all have our daily rituals that help our lives make sense. When I deviate from my "usual" I feel out of sorts. I like structure. I like order. I am the person who adds things to my to-do list after I have done them, so I can have the satisfaction of crossing it off.

But, my life usually tends to fall into the category of unstructured, unordered, even chaotic at times. Most of that is due to my work schedule and night shift. Today was technically a day off, but I worked last night, so I came home and slept. Sometimes I try to just stay up all day, hoping to have a productive day. Usually, I end up grouchy and not a nice person to be around, so I am better off sleeping, at least part of the day.

Other days, when I haven't been working, I may have a plan that gets changed by a sick child, or a phone call by someone who needs a favor, or lack of supplies/ingredients for a project. I have learned to be more of a "go with the flow" kind of woman.

It hasn't been easy.

Again, I like structure and order. When something as simple as a couch cushion is out of place, I feel unbalanced. I think I may be a little OCD.

I have had to give a little, give a lot. Sometimes, I just have to say "In the big scheme of things, is what I am freaking out about, really all that important?"

I need to keep it balanced. Because keeping it in balance, is like being organized and structured in a way.
It is just realizing that life isn't always "by the book" (or to-do list), and being able to be okay with it.

So, now as my day is ending:
                        Clean up supper dishes
                        Check laundry (move stuff from washer to dryer)
                        Relax with family
                        Read or watch TV for a while while folding laundry
                        Eat a piece of pie (with whipped cream)
                        Brush teeth
                        Set alarm for morning
                        Go to bed
Good night all.
See you tomorrow.
After my cup of coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment