Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Banana Peels and Tire Squeals

Our driveway splits by the barn and our part goes to our house, the other part goes back to the neighbor's house back by the woods.

This morning as I left, I was concentrating on peeling a banana as I left the house and rounded the barn. As I went past the machine shed, I decided to throw the banana peel out into the field. I figured that technically it was not littering, as it was on my property and it was biodegradable. Really, it was more like creating a compost pile, if the cows didn't eat it first.

Would the police officer have viewed it in the same way? Luckily, I didn't have to find out.

But I could have. If the golf cart and I would have collided.

Now, it's not everyday that a golf cart is traversing our driveway (from the neighbor's house up to, or back from, the landscaping business at the end of our driveway). Especially a golf cart driven by an Amish man.  But this morning, there it was.

I think the cart pulled out from the side door of the machine shed right after I went by it. I say, "I think", because I didn't see anybody sharing the gravel lane prior to tossing out the banana peel.

I peeled the banana completely and because I wanted to toss the peeling out the window, I slowed way down and threw it. It was then that I heard the gravel spin out and I knew it hadn't been me. I glanced in the mirror, and there close enough behind my car to count the individual hairs in his beard, was the Amishman on the golf cart.

I didn't even wave or acknowledge his sudden appearance by my bumper, I just sped up and hoped he thought it was Leo driving.

Maybe the lawmakers need to add "no peeling a banana" to the "no talking on cell phone" law.
The world would be a much safer place. Just think, not only would there be no distraction while driving, no one would slip on the banana peel either.

(Just wondering...how many people really slip on a banana peel??? And why would they be just laying around? Oh, because someone threw them out their car window.)

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment