Friday, May 18, 2012

"To Age or Not To Age. . . "

How old am I?

On the outside, I am almost 32.
Umm, well. . . okay. . . 42.
Physically I have lived for 41 years, 11 months and 17 days. Some days I "feel" my age (or older), especially if I am tired. Most days though, I feel younger. I try to stay active, mostly with walking and that helps.

But what about on the "inside"? How old am I? There is a saying which states that "you are only as old as  you think you are" and there is much truth in that.

I have moments of feeling quite young, like preschool-age young.
          Like when I am feeling insecure, shy, and small.
          Like when I am over-tired and have gotten angry or irrational over something pointless.
                 (That's right, sometimes I need a time-out.)
Other times, I feel like I am 10 years old.
          Like when I am excited about learning something new.
          Like when I am digging in the garden, and am covered in dirt and simply don't care.
          Like when I feel like I don't have a care in the world. (that doesn't happen very often, but when it    
                  does, I am 10.)
At times I feel like a teenager.
          Like when I am faced with decisions regarding the future and life feels unsure.
          Like when I am insecure over how I look or what to wear.
          Like when I want to drive fast in a really cool car.
I like feeling like I am in my twenties.
          Just because.
I really like feeling like I am back in my thirties.
          Life had a feeling of being "established".
          I felt more alive as my depression was finally being dealt with.
          I don't know why exactly, but I liked the decade of being 30.
But what about 41? Someday when I am 81, I may feel like I am 41 again.
          Like when I look at Leo and my heart pounds.
          Like when I am feeling pride for my children's accomplishments, or feeling pride just because
                   they are mine.
          Like when I have walked 5 miles and just feel healthy.
          Like when I spend time with God and discover something new about Him and me.

Whatever age I am, I am ageless. Maybe even classic. Within a day, I can be 4, 14, 24, 34 and 104.

Or I may just be 41 years, 11 months and 17 days.

Love,
Dianne
       
       

No comments:

Post a Comment