Monday, May 28, 2012

White Shoes

"You can't wear white shoes before Memorial Day." 
"You can't wear white shoes after Labor Day."

Does anyone else remember those rules? Follow them? And why?

Growing up, white shoes were not worn until the months of June, July and August. Most of the time, those shoes were sandals and would have been inappropriate for Garrett County MD winters anyhow, so it wasn't a big deal. Besides, it was just what you did and you didn't question it.

Even if it really didn't have a rhyme or reason.

To this day though, I have a difficult time wearing white shoes (I own exactly one pair of white sandals) until after Memorial Day. It just feels wrong somehow. I can see it now. . .

. . . It is May 1st and I step into the public eye wearing a cute pair of white sandals. I am feeling fine as I stroll down the street, with a bit of a saucy saunter, in my summery shoes. I am whistling a chipper tune, minding my own business, when out of nowhere, the fashion police stop me in my tracks. After first admiring my cute white shoes, they rudely remove them from my feet. I feel like Cinderella in reverse. And all because. . . 


"You can't wear white shoes before Memorial Day."


Maybe it's because all the mud of Spring would make your white shoes dirty. 


Maybe it just looks too fresh and summery, and we all know how fickle Spring is around here. Wearing white shoes too soon would be like daring it to snow in April or May. 


And this year, we did have a rather large snowfall towards the end of April, and I did wear the white shoes earlier than I was technically supposed to. . . 


Oops. 


But, hey, today is Memorial Day! So bring out the white shoes, the white pants, the white dress, and if you really want to, the tidy-whities (you know, of the Fruit of The Loom variety). 


And when you do, take the time to remember all those who have fought and died for our country, for our freedom and our rights. Without their sacrifice, our country wouldn't be what it is today. 


Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment