Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Very Good Day Indeed

I've been busy the last two days, but busy in a very nice way. You see, I was in my garden, and that kind of busy is most welcome. I went to the produce auction on Tuesday and came home with 72 pots of Dianthus. I knew that would keep me out of trouble for a while, but then a friend of my mother's invited us to her garden to dig, uproot, and adopt a variety of plants. This is a sample:

 I tried to write down what I was digging up so I'd know what I was planting later, but after awhile I gave up. There was just so many and they were getting all mixed-up. The back of my dad's pickup was seriously loaded with foliage. Gloriously loaded I might add.

So yesterday afternoon and today, I tackled getting as many of these plants into the ground. Some I just put in existing flower beds, but then I was motivated to tackle this pile of rocks and make a new bed. . .

. . . right about here, by the old milk house shed:


I dug out weeds and befriended a toad. I hope he sticks around.


 I added some rocks for the start of a wall, then I went on a coffee break.


Ahhh, the rocks are finally in place, and Leo got me dirt with the skid loader. I could've gotten the dirt myself, but he looks soooo much nicer driving that beast than I do.


Sunset had arrived and I finally had the bed filled with dianthus, asters, pink salvia, irises, hens & chicks, thyme, yarrow, and black-eyed susans. At least that's what I think they are. Some I transplanted from my other gardens, some came from this generous friend, and of course the dianthus was from the 72 pots. (Only 42 more to go after today.)



All in all, a productive two days. My body hurts just a little, but just like being busy, it's in a good way.
It reminds me of watching Little Bear with my children, and Little Bear would say, "This is a very good day!" That's how today felt to me.

A very good day indeed.

Love,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment