Tuesday, May 22, 2012

No Cure For Nostalgia

Nostalgia happens at my house. No, it's not a stomach bug, or the flu, but it can cause bizarre symptoms.

nostalgia |näˈstaljənə-|nounsentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happypersonal associations: I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college.

 It all started with a pair of jeans that needed a button. Out came the button jar.

Because everybody needs a button jar. . . just in case. 

We were sorting through potential buttons that were the right size and color when I found some old buttons from off of our original couch that we bought when we got married. Look, a perfect fit. 

 And here (below) is the remainder of the couch/loveseat/chair trio that has been in our family for 24 years. The couch and loveseat have long since departed (may they rest in peace). At the time, the kids all thought that it was terrible. They looked on this furniture as members of our family and thought we'd always have them. We still have the chair and I guess I'll be looking at the pheasants (soooo very 1980's!) for at least a few more years.


















Not only are my children nostalgic about furniture, but it extends to musical instruments (like the piano that Aaron learned to play on, but is now untunable), light fixtures, clothing and other miscellaneous items.







Here is Adrienne with "The Garfield Shirt", a t-shirt she's had for about 20 years. She wore it as a nightgown/nightshirt for many years and it is now quite thin, faded and soft. While she hasn't worn it in the last 10 years (at least), she has kept it with her box of treasures. When she thinks about this shirt, it reminds her of her Aunt Kimmy and "Aunt" Denise who gave it to her.  Good memories and the shirt helps her remember.

Then there is the ugly light fixture in our kitchen that I think is the most unattractive, uninviting light ever. My kids do not want me to update it for something prettier because "it has always been here." It is a part of their childhood memories of growing up here on the farm. That is the same for the old stovepipe cover that is by the oven. So ugly, and it doesn't even serve a purpose. It used to have a picture of a wheat field, but it has faded and almost disappeared into a pastel blur, and yet it has to stay. Nostalgia. 

I thought I'd have to call a counselor when I replaced the kitchen clock (it stopped working, what else was I supposed to do?) And when we bought a new bed? I thought we'd have to call in a therapist. 

Nostalgia causes bizarre symptoms as evidenced below by Amy when she encountered the button jar and the pheasant buttons. 

Is there a cure?

I hope not. Nostalgia has a lot to do with remembering good times, the "good old days". I may not hang onto every article of baby clothing, every drawing, or pieces of furniture just to remember, but I do scrapbook and I think that's part of the reason I blog too. I like to remember, I like to feel nostalgic once in a while. Writing it down makes the memory more permanent somehow.

And now, my dear children, since I blogged about it, and have a photo of it, do you think I can get rid of the ugly kitchen light?

Please?

I know. Let's save it in the attic, and when you all leave to start a home of your own, one of you can have it, so you'll always remember.

Love,
Dianne










No comments:

Post a Comment