Sunday, May 13, 2012

Prepared for Motherhood?


Before I had children, I thought I knew what being a mother was. I thought it would be easy; after all, I was an organized, healthy, energetic young woman. I had eagerly read Dr. Spock's Baby and Childcare and devoured every handout my OB/GYN tossed my way. Not to mention the knowledge and common sense imparted to me by my own mother. 

I thought I was prepared, but nothing prepares you for:
          -sleepless nights
          -feedings at every hour
          -sore gums and cranky days
          -explosive diapers
          -juggling schedules and baby care
          -postpartum depression
And that was just the baby stuff.

Nothing quite prepared me for :
          -the terrible two's
          -the even more terrible three's
          -the whining
          -potty training
          -chicken pox
          -teaching manners to an uncooperative student
          -worrying about their safety
And that was just the toddler/preschool years.

I was even less prepared for :
          -sibling rivalry
          -fighting and biting
          -friendship troubles
          -2nd grade math
          -more worry about safety
          -being needed more and having even less time
And this was just the school age years.

I figured the next years would be a breeze. I didn't account for:
          -dating ups and downs
          -changing bodies
          -shopping for teenage clothes
          -hurt feelings, broken hearts
          -talking about sex
          -knowing when to step in and when to step out
          -allowing them to make mistakes and deal with consequences
And that was yesterday. 

Being a mother has been the hardest job I've ever had. And the best. Nothing could've prepared me for:
          -the joy of being a new family
          -the warmth of baby's breath on your face
          -soft chubby hands
          -first words, first steps
          -sticky fingered hugs
          -their joy in simple things
          -watching their independence grow
          -late night giggles
          -late night talks
          -family vacation
          -unique personalities
          -day to day family life
          -being friends with your adult child
          -The joy of being a family still

It didn't matter how prepared I thought I was, because I wasn't. It wouldn't have mattered anyhow, because no matter how many parenting books I'd read, my babies hadn't read a single one. And all the books in the world, although they prepared me (kind of) for the practicalities of parenthood, couldn't prepare me for the unspeakable joys that awaited me. 

From Day 1 to Day 7490, it's been a journey I'd do all over again. Thank you Adrienne, Aaron, Amy, Heather and Ryan for making me a mother. I love you. 

Explosive diapers and all.

Love,
Mother Bear
          

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sharon. It took me forever to write this one! I didn't want it to be too focused on the negative, but I wanted moms to know that it is real and hard sometimes, but so worth it.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete