Monday, April 23, 2012

Snow and Pimento Loaf

A snow day in April is not unheard of in our part of the world, but it is unusual. Especially this winter, when we barely had any snow all winter. My children went to school this morning, but were home by 11:30.

Ah, now I can get them to clean their bedrooms...





...but first things first...lunch. 
Amy and I headed to Springs Store for essentials.
 Like doughnuts. 
And sandwich fixin's. 

 
Pepper and pimento loaf brings back memories of my mom working at Kolb's Store in Accident, MD. She would run the register and since Mr. Kolb was our bus driver, he would just take me and my sisters right to the store when he parked the bus at the end of the route. Sometimes, bologna and cheese sandwiches would be waiting for us, and occasionally pepper and pimento loaf. I had to get some today just so my kids could try it.

When I taste it, I almost feel like I am in that dusty little country store with creaky wooden floors, sunshine slanting through the front windows making the dust motes appear as I wander the three narrow, short aisles looking at the odd assortment of this and that, stationary and cards, glass knick-knacks, crocheted towel holders, candy, 10 cent rings, aspirin, brushes and combs. I could almost be sitting out on the front steps watching traffic go by with a sandwich and a can of pop in my hand.

Sigh. They just don't make stores like that anymore.

Here they are, enjoying their shortened day of school:

Making their sandwiches; Amy was brave and tried the colorful bologna.
I didn't know the Queen was here for lunch
Ryan didn't try the pimento loaf either. He doesn't know what he's missing....
They cleaned their bedrooms...kind of...and helped me straighten up the rest. I like shortened days of school too. Muwahahaha...

Love,
Dianne



1 comment:

  1. I cleaned my room thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete