Sunday, April 15, 2012

Camp Nurse Part 2 "Capture the Pookie"


Yesterday, our evening at Camp ended with a campfire, complete with S'mores, hot chocolate, and my brother-in-law getting his soul on with some singing. There is nothing like a good campfire song or two! I don't know that I normally think about people getting hurt while making S'mores, but last night I did. Think about it...sharp pointy sticks, hot coals, energetic kids...it could get ugly. But it didn't. "Whew"says the Camp Nurse.

This morning was Capture The Flag time, or as they call it here "Capture the Pookie". The game is the same as it's always been and I couldn't wait to play. This was my favorite game when I was in middle school and high school, but I haven't really had an opportunity to play it since then. When I play this game, I feel like a spy, or maybe a pirate. I love the strategy, the teamwork, and the all-out fun that everyone seems to have. This gets my high score for best camp game ever. Having no injuries gets a high score too!
In Jail, waiting to be rescued; I spent a lot of time here. Apparently I run much slower than 3rd-5th grade girls. 
A counselor's job is never done...Grantley did a great job!
This is me, running free, letting the inner kid out to play. 
Way to go Christopher! He captured the Pookie first. 

And just what is a Pookie? 
This is a Pookie: 


He was very brave in spite of a minor injury. 

                                After a visit to the nurse though, he was good as new. 

What did I learn this weekend? 

1. The most important item in a camp nurse's inventory is bandaids.
2. The second most important item is energy, along with a smile.
3. Coffee helps too.
4. Sometimes being a nurse means that you fix sad or lonely feelings, not just cuts and scrapes.
5. Sometimes hugs work the same as bandaids.
6. I can do all things with the help of God who gives me courage.

I'm sure there's more, but right now, this nurse need a nap. 

Signing off as Camp Nurse at Cove Valley Christian Camp,
With Love and Bandaids,
Dianne


No comments:

Post a Comment